Wanna know what it takes to build an alliance?
Wanna know a little background of how the TWLF formed?
In collaboration with NAFCON (National Alliance of Filipino Concerns),
The League Of Filipino Students @ SFSU presents you…
A premier and workshop on Alliance Building and an Ethnic Studies/Third World Liberation Front (TWLF) ED
February 16, 2011 Wednesday
In GYM 115 from 7:15pm-9:15pm
SF State, 1600 Holloway Ave., SF, CA
What is NAFCON (National Alliance of Filipino Concerns)?
Throughout the United States, Filipino organizations and individuals have been engaged in community-based and worker-based organizing and leadership development. These groups have been at the forefront—fighting for social, racial and economic justice by waging campaigns on behalf of their constituencies.
Campaigns have included advocating issues in the Philippines, as well as internationally, and doing relief and support work for Filipinos facing crisis’ while in the midst of chronically impoverished situations. A national alliance amongst these organizations and individuals finally formed in 2003.
The National Alliance for Filipino Concerns (NAFCON):
- Forwards the advancement of community-based and worker-based organizing
- Spearheads national campaigns on behalf of the most marginalized and impoverished sectors of society
- Fosters the growth of community-based leadership
- Promotes positive cultural exchange based on Filipino perspectives and experiences
- Protect and advance the rights and welfare of Filipinos by fighting for social, economic and racial equality
- Respond to the basic needs and interests of Filipinos in the US through education, action and national unity
- Promote Filipino heritage as a positive cultural identity and contribution to US society
- Pursue the call for international peace, based on social justice
- Empowers and gives voice to Filipino communities in the United States
- Celebrates Filipino heritage
- Protects and respects Filipino rights and welfare
- Effectively addresses Filipino interests and concerns
- Gives Filipinos the opportunity to uplift the Philippine homeland and diaspora through social and economic reforms that strive for justice and lasting peace
What is the League of Filipino Students @ SFSU?
We focus to deepen our understanding of the concrete connections between Filipinos in the United States and in the Homeland by studying and propagating the rich and proud revolutionary heritage of our People’s continuing struggle for liberation and National Democracy.
We take it upon ourselves as youth and students to renew our Filipino culture and history, define our present situation as Filipinos all over the world, come to a proper understanding of how to remedy our current condition, and take action.
If you have any questions about the ED, please email Lyle at
Or you can also email the ED Officer for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Struggle with love,
Ian Jerome Conde
Educational Development Officer 2010-2011
League Of Filipino Students – SFSU
“Only through militant struggle can the best in the youth emerge.
Only through the struggle can the fighting forces be constantly
replenished by the ceaseless inflow of new blood.”
– Jose Maria Sison, ‘Youth on the March”